Subject: RE: [Leica] Has anyone read Shutterbabe yet?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:19:25 -0800

I read Reitman's review on Salon.  At the risk of sounding unreconstructed, it came across to me as a traditional feminist rant.  It was more a commentary on how hard Reitman had found journalism to be for a woman, and how much the sisterhood needed to stick together.  Kogan's big failing in Reitman's eyes seemed to be betraying the sisterhood by getting out of field photojournalism after four years, going into TV, then giving it all up to become a *gasp* mother.  Reitman spent a lot more column-inches on her experiences in journalism than she did dismissing Kogan's.  IMO Reitman's politics prevented her from being even remotely objective about Kogan's book.  This was not a book review, it was a polemic.

It made me want to read "Shutterbabe" more than ever.

Paul