Subject: Re: [Leica] Has anyone read Shutterbabe yet?
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:18:39 -0500

Tina Manley jotted down the following:

> Wow!  I think we read different reviews.  I went back and read it again and
> nowhere does Reitman mention Kogan giving it all up to become a mother.  I
> didn't get the feminist angle at all - just that Kogan had betrayed the
> photojournalists' code (male included) by naming names.  Amazing how
> different we read things - Venus and Mars!

I read the review too.  The picture I got from it was that it was less about
her experiences as a photographer and more about her experiences (for better
or for worse) of being an ambitious young good looking woman in a male
environment and what consequences that had for her life.  I also got the
impression that the book had very little to do with what she saw and where
she was, and everything to do with her, her adventures, her take on life,
her rants on various subjects, and her in general.  Basically, an ego trip.
So, I went back to Amazon, unchecked her book, and ordered the Don McCullin
biography instead.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |

Replies: Reply from "julianthomas.terra.es" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] Has anyone read Shutterbabe yet?)