Subject: Re: [Leica] How to realign Hektor 135/4.5 head/tube?
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:36:56 -0800

Andrew Moore wrote:

> I have a Hektor 135/4.5, in Leica screw mount, with a removable lens head.
> I've had excellent (understatement) results with it on the viso/bellows.
> I'm almost positive that the focusing tube and head aren't a matched set,
> and focus is in fact off by about 3 feet at a distance of 25 feet or so.
>
> Does anyone know of a do-it-yourself method of bringing things back into
> alignment?  What needs tweaked, and how?  I'm not opposed to filing away
> bits of metal either.  I paid $80 for this at a swap meet for this
> beat-up, dusty and scratchy sample and it's more than paid for itself.
>
> --Andrew

Let me preface this with the statement that this is My Opinion. YMMV.

If the lens head and focus helicoid are not matched as to focus length
then you are out of luck.

By matched I mean the lens head may have a measured focal length of
134.5 mm and the mount 136.0 mm they don't match. 3 ft at 25 seems
extreme but I won't do the math :)

It does count for accurate focus. The focus helicoid translates the
movement to an accurate displacement of the focus cam. You can shim to
make it in focus at one point but it will be off everywhere else. Ditto
for filing the cam at the rear of the mount. (just another 'shimming'
operation)

Dennis