Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon FM3A Pancake - OFF-TOPIC
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:17:08 -0800

Dan Cardish wrote:

> check out http://www.nikon.ca/camera/fm3a/index.html
>
> dan c.

Pancake Redox:

I was more interested in the lens and finally found it:
http://www.nikon.ca/camera/nikkor_45/index.html

My first camera body was an F2 the year they came out in 1973 (or close) and the
lens i picked for it was the 45 GN.
Although the compactness was nice it only focussed to 3 feet and there was no
depth of field scale.
I still have it and on the long run i made good use of it's mechanical flash
guide number linkage.
This lens also stops down to a cute little f32 circle with it's multitudinous blades.
Flash pictures at 3 feet at F32 had amazing bokeh!
because of the fact that the F stops would link to the focusing the focusing
worked in the opposite direction. With infinity on the right instead of on the
left side of all the distances.

This new revamp is in many ways not.
It's silver.
It stops down to only F22
But does have extra blades which refers in effect to better bokeh!!!
         "Rounded diaphragm opening (7 blades) makes out-of-focus elements
appear more natural"
and focuses down to 1.5 feet instead of 3.
Has no mechanical GN linkage, but does have a little DOF scale.
It says it's a Tessar. I wonder what the original was? I don't think is was a Tessar.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)