Subject: Re: [Leica] M: Week 5 is up.
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:26:05 -0500

B. D. Colen jotted down the following:

> Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>>
>> I find the main selection funny, obviously, but I really like the alternate.
>> If only there were a person somewhere in the picture to give a sense of
>> scale,
>> you would have a dynamite shot! But it is pretty nice as it is.
>
> Sort of ditto Martin - The main shot is amusing - you should send it to
> 7Up - it's their T-shirt, I think....and I really like the crane
> shot...better, I think, without a human in it...

Personally, I think the crane shot could have been perfect if it had been
possible to move just fractionally (a) to the left to get better separation
between the cranes and less dead space on the right and (b) up, to loose the
"S-65".  However, I was crammed right up against a fence at the time, and
there was debris on the ground which I couldn't get over.  I snapped about
15 frames of these with a 35mm and a 50mm, this is the cleanest composition.
A security guard walked out of the building after about five minutes and
wanted to know what the hell I was doing.  I told him I was a photography
student and how the cranes looked like prehistoric animals grazing or
herding, or something, while waving my arms a great deal.  He left in
bewilderment.

I don't think a human is needed for scale.  You already know that humans are
supposed to stand in the baskets, so you can figure out the size.  A human
figure might be interesting to break the strict angular look, but I think I
prefer it without.  They really do look like dinosaurs, or something.

Anyway, for me, it's a close, but not quite the cigar shot.  LF may have
been the way to go.  Thanks -- as always -- for your comments.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | "And many photographers will also appreciate
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | the separate control rings for focus and
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | aperture."    -- Leica lens ad copy.