Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses from Portugal
From: John Hudson <xyyc@home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:44:00 -0800

V8PWR@aol.com wrote:

> Dans un courrier daté du 05/02/01 00:22:43 Paris, Madrid, mano@proxyma.net a
> écrit :
>
> << Jo Goodtimes, an  airborne rardar tech , wrote:
>
>  "I've visited the Leica factory in Portugal and as long as I remember , the
>  lenses are assembled in a completly dust free workshop , filtered like a
> NASA
>  assembly room , and the poeple working here look like doctors in action."
>
>  Do tell us which lenses you saw being made in Portugal - M or R? Anything
> specific?
>
>  Emanuel Lowi
>  Montreal
>   >>
>     I saw M series lenses over there . It was on a visit last summer (
> unofficial ) .
> M cameras are also built in this company , mostly by hand .

I wonder if the lenses themselves are marked "Made in Portugal"? One of
the R series bodies was made in Portugal and "Made in Portugal" was
inscribed on the body in almost microscopic writing. Was it the R3? I
guess it doesn't sound as good as "Made in Germany" which is surely what
Leitz wants the world to believe. Perhaps the only exception to this was
in respect of the Leitz Canada lenses.

jh