Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hexar Rangefinder accuracy with Leica Lenses
From: Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:37:22 -0500

Dan - I had been meaning to write to the group about my experiences with the
Hexar RF when this controversy broke out anew.

I recently purchased the new, improved TriElmar and find it definitely
better than the first iteration.  Anyway my goal is use this lens on the
Hexar RF.  Mu first roll of film thru this combo of lens and body reaffirms
that this is a good setup.  The minimum aperture of f/4 of course helps .
All shots at home using Delta 400 @ 400.  Shots at 1/8 sec. Were amazingly
infocus.

As far as focusing errors I have not gotten out the tape measure - I simply
focus on various objects @ various distances with a lens on the M6 and then
put the lens on the Hexar RF and refocus.  This assumes that the M6 is in
alignment which it may not be but at least it lets me know how close to M6
'focussing' it will be.  So far the TriElmar has been the closest with the
90 mm Elmarit and Tele-elmarit the most inaccurate.  The Cossina 75/2.5 with
SM-M adapter is very much in agreement on the Hexar RF as compared to the
M6.

I have tried the 50/1 @ f/1 and there is to be expected a problem in
accurate focusing.  35/2 is ok and of course anything wider like the 21/2.8
is fine as well.

Highly unscientific but nonetheless usefull info for me at least.

Ernie nitka