Subject: Re: [Leica] STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS
From: bampolsk@csc.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:03:25 -0500

Hi,

I've been lurking on this list for a couple of months, enjoying the
information (and otherwise).  Anyway, my M6TTL had a freak accident on New
Year's Day.  I was in Mystic taking pictures after a new snow.  That
afternoon, I went into the planetarium there.  Following the show, I picked
up my M6.  What I didn't realize is that there was about a 1.5" space
between the seat rest and the seat.  Well, the camera strap got caught up
in the space, and when I picked up my beloved M6, it was rudely jerked out
of my hands bending the rewind crank.  The rangefinder was not damaged, in
spite of the rather substantial blow.  But, the film advance dragged and
rewinding dragged.  So, I sent my M6 back to Leica where it was repaired -
no charge - under the Passport Warranty.  Seems owner abuse is included in
the warranty.  I love this company!  and their cameras.

Well, in addition to the M6TTL, I also own two other Ms(an M5 and an M2)
bought in the 70s and a Leicaflex SL...  the only SLR I will ever need.
Years ago I dropped my M5, putting a corner dent on the top surface, but no
damage to the rangefinder.  Most of what I do is archaeological
photography.  I'm a serious amateur Mayanist and try to get down to Central
America at least once a year for my annual "pyramid climb", and I can't
wait for the new 28mm Summicron.  I must say that two of the best pictures
I've ever taken were shot in the 70s with a 3f which, regrettably, I no
longer own.  So, here is a point...  Unless you are destitute or own a 90mm
Tele-elmarit, never sell or trade your Leica equipment.  You *will* live to
regret it.

My 2c for now.

Brian

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS)