Subject: Re: [Leica] Books On the Leica System
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:33:25 -0500

Hugo Lopes jotted down the following:

> I'm a newbie both to LUG and the Leica M System. I was wondering if you
> could recommend a couple of good books on the system. I am interested in
> shooting techniques and tips, but would also like to know a bit more
> about Leica history. Thanks

Well, despite the bashing he's taken recently on this list, I would
wholeheartedly recommend Jonathan Eastland's book on the M system,
especially "The Leica M Compendium".  I found it very useful when I was
first starting out.

Another great book, but very hard to find (unless you can read the German
version) is Günter Osterloh's book on Leica M photography (cannot remember
the exact title).  Unfortunately, these seem to trade for several hundred
dollars for worn copies.  It's good, but not *that* good.

Other books would be Brian Bower's "Leica M Photography".  Less inspiring
and somewhat less useful than Eastland's, IMHO.  Stay away from Bower's "The
Leica Lens Book" -- lightweight fluff, again IMHO.

For history, Denis Laneys book for collectors (can't remember the exact
title) or pick up the 15th edition of Matheson's "The Leica and Leicaflex
Way" (printed in the 70's).  It only covers cameras up to the M5 and
Leicaflex SL (or maybe the SL2) but it has lots of chapters on how to use
the cameras.  A good read.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |     "Life imitates email."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                -- Johnny Deadman