Subject: Re: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:47:15 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:
><Snip>
> When DOF is calculated, it is based upon normal viewing distance (I forget
> exactly what this is) of an 8x10" print and the "normal" human actuity of
> 0.2mm, which translates into circles of confusion in the 35mm negative of
> 0.03mm.
>
> It's a guideline.  Not an absolute.  YMMV.  In fact, it's almost guaranteed
> to do that.  Much like exposure metering in that way.
>
> M.

Aha! the only math thing i know is viewing distance!

a 50mm lens is two inches long.
35mm film is one inch on the short side.
If you make a 6x9 image that is a six times magnification.

6 (mag) x 2 (focal length) = 12 inches (viewing distance).

So hold up your print exactly a foot from you eyes and see if it glitches to all
its wonderfulness.
I kind of like to do that sometimes.

A 24mm lens is one inch so hold the print 6 inches away then and see how the
perspective looks just right!
	You've got to climb right in there!

A 9 inch mag on a 11x14 print shot with a 90 is 3.5433 x 9 is 32 inches away!!
	so stand back almost a yard from the wall and get a proper perspective on that print.
you've got room to stand and look at a print with those numbers working for you.

11x14's are definitely wall size, if not 16x20's if you are not using long lenses.

markrabiner