Subject: Re: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad?
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:28:12 -0800

>I keep hearing people's accounts of their 75 Summiluxes focusing in front
>of or behind the intended point of focus (recently 4 people and 5 lens
>samples).  In a couple cases the lens (alone) was sent out for repair and
>came back working.

I sent my bodies and lenses to Sherry Krauter to match them.  Even so, I
still produce out-of-focus images.  I attribute that to my lack of
technique, not the lens.

What I've found is that under available darkness, it is extremely difficult
to focus on the eye closer to the camera, but instead, I found that I tend
to focus on the subject's nose, which may be 1 or 2 cm further away.
Similarly, I find myself focussing on the outline of the head, not the face.
I remind myself to move myself to compensate, but I may produce 1 out of 10
photos taken at wide open.

The picture from the January BALUG at

http://i14.yimg.com/14/2fe92e3d/h/6136ac37/GodfreyAndKen.JPG

is one of such few relatively successful pictures using Summilux 75mm at
wide open (at 1/15 sec)