Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V19 #102
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:18:26 EST

In a message dated 2/7/01 8:06:00 AM, Mark writes:

<< a 50mm lens is two inches long.
35mm film is one inch on the short side.
If you make a 6x9 image that is a six times magnification.

6 (mag) x 2 (focal length) = 12 inches (viewing distance).

So hold up your print exactly a foot from you eyes and see if it glitches to
all
its wonderfulness.
I kind of like to do that sometimes.

Years ago (before the Leica era) Minox used to advertize that prints made
from the 8mm x 11mm Minox negative would be comparable in quality to those
made by larger cameras if only the prints were viewed from the right (ortho)
distance. A Minox negative enlarged 20x would yield a 160 x 220 mm print,
approximately 6 x 9". It should be viewed from about 1 ft. away. I recall
seeing huge blowups of Minox negs at a photo show, approximately 24" x 36". A
velvet rope barrier kept the viewer about 4 feet away. No nose in the
emulsion viewing permitted. I must admit they looked pretty good. The
company's slogan at the time was "Small Camera, Big Pictures".

Larry Zeitlin