Subject: RE: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:37:39 -0600

Frank wrote:
>Yes, QC at Leica needs Customer QC.  My 75 ( 5 feet behind) was used but s
>you say, what could happen to a lens?  Henry's 75 was out.....making me
>wonder about my lens...., my M6 ( Vertical VF out) was new..... there are
>lots more....All with basic QC errors...

No.
My 75 is PERFECT.
As is my 90 2.8 M and all the other M lenses I own.

The brand new 90 APO I just bought last week is in NJ now getting fixed.
To the dealers credit he did offer to exchange it if he had another (he
did not)

And I hope it comes back to me and is PERFECT. But why should I have to
shoot, process and scan 2 rolls of film to establish that its defective?
That's equivalent to a few hundred dollars worth of work if I did it for
someone besides myself. And then the FedEx shipping to NJ. All because I
bought a brand new defective product?

Anyway, it should be fixed in a couple of days which I guess means that
I'll have it next week. I'm sure I'll report back then that its fixed and
wonderful. Then in a few months I'll think back and realize that it got
fixed on one week and I'll like Leica again.

No reason to have a heart attack.

But anyway -
It would serve Leica well for someone to explain how a lens gets out of
calibration. Sure old stuff could wear out - thats not what we have here.
What could happen to a lens beyond obvious damage to cause focusing
trouble?
Are there lock rings or screws inside that vibrate loose?
Or what? I'd sure like to know.

Henry Ambrose