Subject: Re: [Leica] how can the 75 focusthread go so bad? back to basics....
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:13:17 -0800

>John et al...... For those of us trying to follow all this, but not up to
>snuff with the optic/theoretical side..... How big a problem is this in fact
>with the 75mm? Frequent?   Serious? Should one bother to start looking for
>it?  Should one avoid the 75? Really now...what is best for the owner (
>especially new owner) of the 75mm Summi?   Steve
>

>>  Obviously this thread has gone on so long that the hypothetical
>  > illustrations are now being confused with the main point.

It's not a serious problem other than in tolerances. The camera and
lens have to be in adjustment (mine came that way) and then your
technique has to be up to it, which it will with practice. Certainly
no reasons to avoid the lens.

If you want to use the lens regularly wide-open at close focus, put
it on a body and take a bunch of pictures. If you notice the plane of
focus is often in front or behind the intended plane of focus, check
it out with a ruler. If you discover a problem, send in the camera
and lens together. When you get them back, take lots of pictures....

My hit ratio with this lens is greater than with the Noctilux. With
the 75, same as the Noctilux, care has to be taken with the focus
beyond what is normal with a slower lens. Often one tries to hurry,
or use the same technique one does with the slower lenses, and then
things fall apart a bit. As with a lot of other photography, the only
way to overcome this is to practice.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design