Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF -Optical vs Apparent
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:13:31 -0600

>Here's where we need the new word.  If someone can come up with "bokeh" to
>describe the look of OOF images, then surely we ought to be able to find a
>common word to describe this phenomena of the effect of lower resolution
>on apparent depth of field.
>
>Respectfully,
>Rob McElroy

This hits on what others have posted about new design lenses and the
apparent disagreement between the DOF scales on those lenses and the
results on film.

Merklinger's article I referenced earlier deals with this issue and shows
a way around it.

again:
http://Fox.nstn.ca:80/~hmmerk/DOFR.html

New lenses and new films really call for a new COC value for determining
DOF.
We are using a value agreed upon more than 50 years ago.
Lenses and film have gotten better since then.

A simple answer is to use one stop smaller than the lens markings
indicate.

Or just get over it and go out and make pictures!

:)
Henry Ambrose