Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: DOF, thanks Austin
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:25:13 -0500

> >> I believe you are 'confusing' DOF on the film with DOF on
> the printed
> > image at viewed distance.  They are different.  Even on the
> print, then
> > again at viewed distance have different 'DOF' too.  I
> believe I posted
> > previously on this, and why.
> >

> > Thank you Austin...
> >
> > Jim

You're welcome Jim ;-)

> Okay, I understand the difference completely,

Phew...

> but then we
> need to have a way
> of distinguishing these terms...

Well, I believe the term is correct, and here's why.  DOF is a term used to
describe the effect/result, not related to the cause.  If the cause is
optical, or resolution, the result is the same.  If you want to qualify DOF
with 'optical' or 'resolution threshold', that's fine by me.  I still
believe it's DOF...as both relate to the linear distance of the original
scene that is considered 'in focus'.