Subject: Re: another R? (was: RE: [Leica] Re: Leicaholic)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Feb 2001 20:31:32 -0800

A couple months ago Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

> My SL2 went to Sherry Kraeuter (who I find does
> superb work) recently for an
> overhaul for a few minor issues and one major one --
> the 1/2000th was not
> opening.  Sherry handled all the minor issues, but
> said that to fix the
> 1/2000th would require a shutter rebuild for another
> $350 or so, and she thought it wasn't worth it.  This
> because she says it might fail at any time after that --
> she says that SL2s have always had this problem,
> and I have also heard complaints about the SL2
> shutter from other top Leica people.  As of now
> she says that the 1/2000th will fire if the shutter is left
> uncocked until just before use -- otherwise it will "hit
> through" (which presumably means something to
> someone who knows the innards of an SL2 shutter).
> The other speeds use a different mechanism, so
> they're more reliable.

My own SL2 has a bum 1/2000 sec shutter speed, in fact it's no good between 1/1000 and 1/2000 too.

This shouldn't be a problem for me 'cuz any time my shutter speeds get over 1/500 sec (560mm hand-held excepted) I start using a slower film.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe