Subject: [Leica] In defense of my (fat) Tele-Elmarit
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 04:44:38

From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] In defense of my (fat) Tele-Elmarit

>Some good points in my opinion Neil!
(all snipped but trust me)

>I'm not going to trash the fat Tele-Elmarit anymore because people love the
shots they get from it.
(I would love to see these shots in the flesh)

>But I'm not going to tell anyone who looks at all nice to GET one!!
(my experience with one was so bad)

>I am suspicious of the move to discontinue a lens in favor of a design
>which
weighs twice as much and is twice as big.
Why would they have done this if they didn't think maybe the made a mistake?
got too enthusiastic in their compacting a lens design.

>The thing is with what they know now i think Leica could come out with a
>compact
tele, be it a 75 or 90 that would do the Tele-Elmarit job.
Fit in the neverready case like it was a normal lens.
And be a light weight unobtrusive lens with some small amount of "reach."
AND NOT HAVE FLAIR AND CONTRAST ISSUES.

>If Cosina can do it Leica can do it.
I found some of the results i saw with the Cosina less than inspiring.
And i thought the lens was ugly to look at.
Leica knows how to make a beautiful lens.
The modern Elmarit is pretty to look at...
But the Apo Summicron Asph is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!!!! with results to match
(but weighs a ton, more than the 135 3.4 apo)

>Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)

Mark,

Speaking of bad experiences, mine came when I traded my first 35mm Summicron
for a 35mm Summilux (1970 vintage). After a short period of time I realized
it wasn't just me not able to focus, the lens was just soft. I went back to
another 1st generation Summicron and am still very happy with it. I'm sure
my experience with the Summilux is unusual. The lens looked mint but I think
it was emotionally tired ... just didn't want to take any more sharp photos.

If you are ever in Phoenix give me a call and I'll find some of those images
shot with the fat Tele-Elmarit. It really would be interesting to see a
modern Tele-Elmarit!

Neil

Neil A. Miller
4340 E. Boulder Ridge