Subject: RE: [Leica] focus inaccuracies: my test results
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:07:10 -0500

Pete,

You read my mind.  In fact, I just ran two rolls of velvia through the Hexar
RF + 50 and the M6 + 35 this afternoon for the main purpose of having fun
shooting again; it will only be a side benefit if the slides give me a
better feel for what these lenses and cameras can do.

I've never done any test shooting before in my life.  I felt compelled to
try it with the 75 because I had heard this lens can require special
calibration to focus accurately up-close.  Since I bought the lens primarily
for this purpose (shooting quasi-macro with my M6, and shooting tight head
shots), I wanted to verify the focusing accuracy of the lens and camera
under ideal conditions in order to ensure that any problems weren't just due
to my own lack of skill.

I only measured my other lenses, and used my other camera body (the Hexar)
as a basis for comparison.

That sequence of test shots revealed some information about my particular
camera/lens kits that I hadn't known before.  It seemed it might be of
interest to others on the list as well.

But it's definitely time to get back to shooting for fun and see what
happens.  I wasn't thrilled with my first few rolls through the Hexar
(almost all shot with a new 35/1.4 asph), but I doubt this is due to any
focusing errors caused by either.  It's likely just learning the nuances of
this new gear.  I shot with nothing but the M6 and 50 for the past year, so
it's only natural I won't get as high a hit ratio with my new Hexar and 35,
or the 75.  I need to shoot exclusively with each for awhile until my body
learns instinctively how to get the best from them.  At least that seems to
be the process that takes place.

As far as using Leica lenses on the Hexar RF goes, it surprised me to
discover that the rangefinder doesn't couple for the entire focus throw the
way my M6 does.  I was disappointed at first, but I like the features of the
Hexar so much that I'm inclined to find strategies to work around this one
limitation.

I _do_ shoot up-close and wide open a lot; in fact, I often find myself
purposely forcing an extra step or two closer to the subject than where I
feel comfortable in order to improve composition (and to grow less wary of
getting so close).  I rarely see photos in which I wish I'd have taken a
step or two _away_ from the subject--it's usually the other way around (but
this is just my subjective preference).  I also like to blur all but the
subject; I've been very much inspired by Johnny Deadman's use of DOF for
directing attention in a composition to a particular subject, and so also
find I challenge myself to open up an extra stop or two when shooting.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a rangefinder of Leica or Konica
caliber to focus accurately at 1 meter wide open--especially under the
controlled conditions when testing.  And if I can't get it work right under
such conditions, I'm relying almost entirely on DOF range for sharpness
which is not a good position with which to shoot.

You may be right about an SLR, and I will probably explore that option as
well.  I'm very pleased with images I've managed using my M6 + 50, though,
and imagine I'll get there with the Hexar and 35 (and M6+75)--it's just a
matter of time and lots and lots of shooting.

Dan