Subject: [Leica] BALUG bar shot...
From: leica@rakitzis.com
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:30:30 -0800

This is a late contribution to the January BALUG get-together photo-fest.

I was in the Prince of Wales pub in San Mateo, and I had borrowed
SOMEBODY's Viso I and 135/4.5 Hektor. Gosh, I hope I have that right.
I don't know anything about Viso.

So, to everyone's astonishment (and derision: "hey, go buy an SLR!")
I started shooting with an improvised two-finger technique: raise the
mirror with one finger, trip the shutter with the other. I started taking
candids of various BALUGgers at 1/8sec or so, handheld of course with
the Viso acting like a bizarre kind of waist-level finder.

I missed lots of shots because I raised the mirror at the wrong time,
or forgot to raise the mirror (how else can I explain the fact that half
the film is clear?) but I did get a nice one of Ken Iisaka:

	http://www.rakitzis.com/ken.jpg

He's in the throes of Noctilust. (In all fairness, I think that's his
own Noctilux in the picture.)

I was 4.5 stops behind him, but I still got something.

Byron.

Replies: Reply from "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org> (Re: [Leica] BALUG bar shot...)