Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex or Leica M ?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 12 Feb 2001 05:17:51 -0800

On Mon, 12 February 2001, "Tony Salce" wrote:

> Could list members proffer a view as to the merits of using an SLR like the
> Leicaflex as opposed to a Leica M.
>
> I presently use a Leica IIIa and an  Olympus OM1and am considering the
> purchase of either a Leicaflex SL or an M3. Having held a Leicaflex SL in my
> hands, it is absolutely no comparison to the Olympus. Similarly the feel of
> say an M3 is lovely. However I really don't know whether to stick with SLR's
> or to launch into rangefinders.
> My photography is centered upon family and travel.
>
> Are a Leicaflex and an M compatible if one was to get both ?
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Tony Salce

Compatible in what way?  The lenses are similar in color rendition but if you're thinking of the 2 camera bodies sharing lenses, that's only possible with significant loss of functions, like RF focussing using R lenses on the M3, or auto-aperture using Visoflex lenses on the SL.

Before replacing the OM1 with an SL be sure to walk around with big rocks in your camera bag so the transition won't seem too severe.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe