Subject: Re: [Leica] Friday WTB: Leica R 35-70/2.8 ASPH. ROM
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:39:27 -0700

Leica has a shortage of production facilities and has trouble keeping up
with demand in the common, very profitable items. I believe one person
reported that for a brief period Leica USA was out of 35mm Summicrons! In
order to produce more 35-70/2.8 lenses they would have to take production
away from profitable items. I have heard it said on this list that the
35-70/2.8 was not easy to make with a high number of rejected elements and
rejected finished lenses. There is a good chance that they lost money on
every 35-70/2.8 they sold. Perhaps they want to wait and do a redesign of
the lens so that it is easier to produce (warning - idle speculation alert).
They have a small optical design team and there probably is other more
important projects to do first. These are common problems for small
manufacturers. Should they add more production capacity? Well, considering
they almost went down the drain with the Asian Flu, I can understand Leica's
conservative approach.

John Collier