Subject: [Leica] Horizontal Centering of Rangefinder
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:11:38 -0500

Pondering this question of a hotshoe-mounted viewfinder, I've just realized
- -- I think -- that the hotshoe is in fact closer to the center of the lens,
horizontally, than is the rangefinder.  The two windows to either side of
the lens on an M3 are evenly spaced from the center of the lens -- which I
suppose means that the focusing triangulation points to an apex in the very
center -- but surely the *framing* of the image is done solely through the
lefthand window, which is considerably to the left of what the lens sees.
Am I missing something here?  In other words -- even with parallax
adjustment -- it would seem as if the image is always slightly off
horizontally (and that this is somewhat rectified by a hotshoe-mounted
finder).

I probably am skipping over a crucial logical step, or it would seem that
the framing mechanism on the Leica is by necessity seriously inaccurate in
the horizontal plane, especially at close range.

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

Replies: Reply from "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com> (Re: [Leica] Horizontal Centering of Rangefinder)