Subject: Re: [Leica] ............
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:58:01 -0500

on 2/15/01 11:13 AM, Tim Atherton at tim@KairosPhoto.com wrote:

> Because BICESTER is BISTER and CHICHESTER is CHII CHESTER  Oh, and WOBURN is
> WOABURN (as in Woburn Abbey)!!  (Oh, and my wifes middle name is Ruthven =
> Riven, so I guess the Scots are in on it too :)
>
> Tim A

let's not forget...

Featherstonehaugh pron. Fan-shaw

Magdalen pron. Maw-dlun (in Oxford, anyway)

Towcester pron. Toa-ster

Marylebone pron. Marly-bone

Keswick pron. Kezz-ick

Derby pron. Dar-by

What is kind of funny is that N Americans seem to have some kind of wierd
blind spot about all of this. I mean, God knows how many times I have
pointed out to my in-laws that it's LESTER SQUARE and WUSTERSHIRE SAUCE and
that Dr Foster went to GLOSTER in a shower of rain... but it makes
ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE to them. They smile as if they're humouring me, and
then just go on calling it what they did before. I mean... WOR-CESTER-SHIRE
SAUCE, for God's sake. Who'd call anything that?

It's not as if Canadians are immune, either... Seault St Marie*, anyone?

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

* Soo Saint Marie, if you must know