Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica and the Nazi taint
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:34:06 +0100

Douglas,

>From what has been posted here (see Marc's post), both firms behaved in as
decent a fashion during the Nazi era as was possible. I am a son of a Holocaust
survivor, but I have no ethical problems with being a Leica and Rollei user. I
also frequently travel to Germany and enjoy my visits and the interaction with
the people. I cannot possibly blame today's Germans for the sins of their
fathers and grandfathers, especially given the extent to which modern Germany
has sought to come to terms with its past. I have much more trouble with
countries like Austria which portray themselves as victims of the Nazis while in
reality they were enthusiastic collaborators. And of course in Austria you have
a guy like Jörg Heider getting 27% of the national vote. For those reasons, I do
not own any Riedel wine glasses (wine is my other passion) even if they are
acknowledged to be the best.

Nathan

Douglas Cooper wrote:

> For me it's not so much a question of owning these things, as identifying so
> strongly with them.  I consider myself a Leica/Rollei photographer, and
> that's what makes me a bit nervous.
>
> Does anyone here have more information on Leica's activities during the War?
> It does seem that they were an unusually decent group of people, for the
> most part, if the story I heard is true.
>

> Douglas Cooper
> http://www.dysmedia.com

- --
Nathan Wajsman