Subject: [Leica] LUG OT: Computer Platform Stability
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:25:44 -0500

Mark Cohen <markc@binaryfaith.com> wrote:

> My Sun machines and Linux Boxes (Intel based) have been up for
> 87 days straight.. (had a power outtage, or it would have been
> 337 days)

Gotta love it. Funny too that this comes up today as I ran a network-wide
uptime query at work this morning. Out of the roughly 400 UNIX servers,
located throughout the US and UK, my group is responsible for nearly 50%
have been up for more than 100 days straight. Over 25% have been up for more
than 200 days. Nine have been up for over 600 days and were last rebooted
when we applied Y2K OS patches in 1999. :-) Power outages account for most
shutdowns. The boxes run stable apps over a stable OS and just don't crash.

- -Dave-