Subject: Re: [Leica] WKs 7,8 Includes picture of new film camera fromFrance
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:32:17 -0500

DV is already compressed to come up with the 25 mb/sec (megabits) data rate.
Its something like 3.3x.  Lots of the compression happens in the
digitization stage.  Regular DV throws away some of the color data during
sampling compared to other techniques or even DVCPRO/50 which is a 50 mb
rate but same compression ratio.

As for data storage for editing.  We run two digital video editing
workstations capable of "lossless" storage.  State of the art for online
editing a year ago.  They share a 360 gigabyte disk array.  That's really
not big enough for what we do.  The workstations each have dual 550 mhz
Pentium IIIs and run Discreet Logic software under Windows NT.

We also have an Avid on a 300 mhz Mac but the quality is much lower than our
current systems.

Mike D