Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75mm f2.5
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:35:36 -0500

Henry Ambrose wrote:

> B. D. wrote in part:
> >Quite frankly, if I am going to be doing any
> >real shooting with any thing longer than a 50 it will be mounted on a
> >reflex, which for me means the Nikon 85 1.4, which is as good as
> >anything Leica makes, or the the 60 2.8 macro, which is also as good as
> >what the gnomes of solms turn out...;-)
>
> I would accept this if you add in something like "when stopped down to
> 5.6 or 8"
> because other wise - they ain't !
>
> The 60 2.8 is probably the very best that Nikon makes. I use one on an
> almost daily basis. It's not so good wide open. Trust me.
>
> Leica stuff beats it at large apertures.
> (in this case at 2.8 which is not so large)
>
> 85 as well although I have not tried a new AF version, so I could be wrong
> (don't think so)
>
> Henry Ambrose
>
> PS: doesn't it feel good to argue about camera stuff again?
>
> PPS: or should we talk about war atrocities and any faint connection
> there
> might be to Nikon or the Japanese optical industry?
>
> no, please don't go there !

Sorry, Henry, I have to disagree. The 60 2.8 is tack sharp "wide open,"
and having owned and used the 75 Summliux, and 85 1.4 Nikon AIS and AF,
I have to say that there is not one whit of difference between them wide
open or otherwise. Maybe when shooting newspapers on walls one can
detect a difference, but when shooting Tri-X under real-life
circumstances, the only difference between the 77 Summilux and the 85
Nikon is price, size, and, as with any non-Leica lens, build quality -
although the 85 is one of Nikon's better built lenses.

B. D.