Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LUG OT: Computer Platform Stability
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:33:45 -0500

leica@rakitzis.com wrote, in part:

> Imagine if Mathematics worked the way the software industry did. Do you
> think that a single university could corner the market on mathematical
> techniques by keeping them as trade secrets and hiring only the best
> mathematicians?

You go to pick up your paycheck and find it's 10% short.  The clerk says,
"Yeah, we've just upgraded to Micro$oft Multiplication, and when we
multiplied the number of days you'd worked with you daily income, that's the
result we got.  But look on the bright side: Since nutritional values have
stayed the same, you can now have a larger helping of ice-cream and not put
on any more weight."

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | Super Cali goes ballistic, Celtics are
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   | atrocious.
email: howard.390@osu.edu     |       -- British sports headline.