Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT - Request Info On Flatbed Scanner
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:34:15 -0800

At 11:53 AM -0500 2/19/01, Bill Campbell wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>In my continuing pursuit of building a digital darkroom, I'm ready to
>acquire a scanner. Not a film scanner per se, but a flatbed scanner capable
>of scanning slides/negs too (hopefully <g>).
>
>I like to query the list for collective experiences with flatbed scanners,
>what are you using, and how do you like it?
>
>At this juncture, I can't justify the cost of a film scanner (maybe down the
>road), but I'd like to purchase a flatbed scanner that can also do 35mm
>slides/negs.
>
>It would be connected to a Win98 box, I'd like to go with USB, and I was
>planning on spending around $300 (I know, I know, but I'm still at the
>*hobby* stage), if I *really* get into it, at a latter date, I can always
>buy a film scanner and use my flatbed for prints <g>
>
>Thanks in advance to replies/advice.
>
>Bill
>
>PS Just recently purchased an Epson 870 printer, love the color! For anyone
>interested, CompUSA has a $70 instant rebate that brings the price down to
>app $179

Even when you get to the $4500 level, flatbeds still don't do as well
scanning 35mm slides as $1500 film scanners.

Get a cheap flatbed; 600dpi is all you need for most things, and then
get a film scanner. There are various models from around $300 to $800
that do very well. The cheapest film scanners are OK with color negs,
but you need a higher DMax capability for slides, which means higher
cost.

Most importantly, forget trying to scan 35mm on a flatbed, unless all
you are after are 4x6 prints that are noticeably poorer than 1 hour
lab pictures.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design