Subject: Re: [Leica] Two quick questions, please
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:51:37 -0500

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:41:13 -0500, "George Kenney"
<gdkenney@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My name is George and I'm a new Leicaholic.

I can sure sympathize - I got a case of that same disease this year,
and it's taking my wife's constant attention to cure me :-)

As to what lenses you "ought" to get, it depends on what you want to
do with them, eventually.  I'd say you've got a first-class kit there
already, so taking a bit of time to get to know it will help you
answer the question for yourself.  That's a lot of varied equipment to
digest, and you'll do yourself a massive favour if you just use what
you have for a year.  Trust me, it's good gear :-)

On the other hand, a very safe recommendation would be the 24/2.8.
I'd avoid the Noctilux for now - it's the sort of lens you should be
sure you want before you commit, as it's unlike anything else you've
ever used.  With the 24 and the 35/1.4 I'd even forgo the 28/2.0.

If you're dead set on getting cool glass, I would also humbly commend
the Tri-Elmar to your attention.  I just got back from a trip to
Belize, and it was my most-used lens (on a Hexar RF - together the
travel kit from the gods).

As far a longer lenses go, the 90/2.0 ASPH has much to recommend it,
but given the fact that you've got the 75 and a .85, the 135 is also
an interesting idea.  But long lenses on an M (even a .85) can be
problematic for some people, and you may eventually decide you don't
see the world that way.

The short answer is use what you've got for a year - by the end of it
you'll know what else you need.  Or else, at a lens a month, you'll
have them all by then anyway :-)

Paul