Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Mamiya 7
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:31:03 -0700

I am not sure I understand how it works but Mamiya USA has some sort of
trademark or copyright in the USA that affects any Mamiya camera in the USA
that was not imported by Mamiya USA. The gear can be seized with out
recompense; not only that, but US Customs will seize the gear for them as
well. Ebay has been affected too with Mamiya's lawyers aggressively pursuing
people who sell used or new non- Mamiya USA gear from other countries into
the USA.

Perhaps brighter lights than I can explain it  better for us all?

John Collier

> From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
>
> Two years ago in Singapore I found the price of Mamiya 7 gear was 60% of USA
> prices. I had to choose between a second hand M6 and two lenses (US$2300)or
> a new Mamiya 7 with the 65mm lens(US$ 1800) the 43mm lens was US$1200! I
> chose the Leica. I had a Fuji 645 with me.
>
> A person could pay for a trip to Singapore for the difference in Mamiya
> prices.In fact, I may do that in July. Leica prices were about the same as
> USA for new gear. These prices were at Cathay Photo, a major dealer.

AND