Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm Lens suggestions
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:56:39 -0500

You buy a Leica for the lenses.

You buy a Voigtlander for the value.

But you buy an 90mm rangefinder lens by its look.

The only reason you should buy an RF 90 is for portraits and then it should be the
one with the optical signature you like.  The god-awfulest 90mm APO ASPH blah blah
90/2 for an M will set you back significantly, while rendering human faces like a
microscope does.  If this is what you like, then the 90/2 APO is better.

In a portrait lens, you top two needs are smooth in-focus out-focus transition and
good highlight separation.  To this end, M and LTM lenses that you might consider
include

85/2 and 105/2.5 Nikkors
90/4 Elmar
85/2 Canon chrome
85/2 Jupiter

There is no inherent rangefinder lens superiority for the 90mm length: retrofocus
is not an issue, compactness is not really an issue, and realworld focusing is less
accurate.  When you start talking about 85s and 90s, the SLR world provides very
stiff optical competition.

Cheers
Dante

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm Lens suggestions)