Subject: Loco for Cocoa Puffs - Re: [Leica] loco for chrome?
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:15:13 -0500

I like chrome bodies up to the M4.  Love my chrome M3.  That was the
finish they were designed for.  Black paint was considered pedestrian at
the time - so what's good for Leitz is good for you.

Chrome lenses are ok; black seems to draw a little less attention.
Black Nikkor LTMs I guess are both chrome and black, and they are
lovely.  For beauty, nothing beats the Leica and Canon chrome lenses
from the 1950s (yes, Marc, the Opton-Sonnar 1.5 is more beautiful, but
the wrong mount).

Black cameras seem somewhat problematic.  An M6 needs to be black
paint.  The M6 chrome looks different to me from the M3, too smooth in
texture.  And the black chrome ages intererestingly.

IMO, titanium should be the material, not a finish.  And it should be
painted with a black finish - smooth lacquer like the G2 black or matte
epoxy like the Hexar.  If it's bare (at least to me), it screams "I'm a
Marantz/Harmon Kardon/Pioneer/Luxman stereo component of the mid-80s."
Plus, for compulsive types, you end up using black lenses all the time
because that's the default color.

No arguing taste, I guess.

Replies: Reply from "Julian Thomas" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: Loco for Cocoa Puffs - Re: [Leica] loco for chrome?)