Subject: [Leica] RE: once or sometimes
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:57:44 -0800

At 05:58 PM 2/21/01 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:

>The only problem I've had with mine is "sometimes" the valves stick...

Austin, you said "sometimes" the valves stick. This means "more than once."
Actually, it means with noticeable frequency. Noticeable enough to report
it on the LUG as a potential problem.

When I said "don't turn it off and the valves won't stick" you said:

>Not true.  I never turn mine off, and I did have a stuck valve "once."

Austin, there's a minor credibility problem here. You wonder why folks get
so upset with what you say. You are not consistent. Your story changes to
meet the moment. Which is why many do not read or respond to your posts and
others get hot under the collar. This is not a flame or criticism, simply a
friend asking you to stop and think about what you say. There are a lot of
folks here that will analyze every word and make important decisions based
on what they think is fact. Like shan@montana.net who said:

>Thanks Jim,
>
>Good to know - great review.
>I just finished building another darkroom...
<snip>
>...Next time I'll try one.
>PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON THE RELIABILITY THING.
>
>shan

What "reliability " thing??? If it's good enough for Kodak's K14, it should
be good enough for anyone!

So Austin, which is it. Did your unit fail "once" or does it "sometimes" fail?

Actually, steppers are incredibly powerful and these valves are geared with
a very fine thread. This allows a very fine temperature control that will
overpower a sluggish or stuck valve. I do not believe in a nanosecond that
you had a stuck valve. The microprocessor went into the weeds and it took a
power-on reset to start it up again. As you said, power glitch. The bane of
microprocessor controlled products.

I run mine off of the battery backup unit that powers my JOBO, which,
during a power failure, will both run my processor to complete any ongoing
process and supply it with the correct water temperature. The UPS also acts
as a super line filter, filtering out any nasty glitches that can cause
processor crashes to either my JOBO or Hass.

:-)

Jim