Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:31:03 -0800

I've bitched more than once here on the LUG regarding the new (and in my
opinion definitely not improved, at least not for my purposes) Delta 400. I
bought a few rolls last fall, at the L.A. Convention Center where Samy's
was having an "event." The Delta rep was there and explained to me that the
emulsion had been changed so that the film would push better, which meant
that the new version was grainier than the old.

Now, I don't soup my own film, but the lab I use processes in TMAX, which
worked wonderfully with the previous emulsion: rich tonal gradation, fine
grain, even at 8" x 10". I used this film exclusively for nearly two years
and got to know its characteristics. To my mind and eye, it was the finest
grain 400 I had ever used, and that was my principal reason for shooting
with it. The new emulsion - made to push better - has lost the fine grain
of the previous emulsion; the rolls I've shot have a VERY pronounced grain,
much more so than even Tri-X. (Though this my be in part a result of the
developper used - TMAX in all cases.) Result: I switched back to AgfaPan
400, the film I was using before Delta, to get that fine grain. (And I know
I could get a finer grain with a slower film - Delta 100, for example - but
I need the speed.)

I for one am sorry they changed the emulsion in order to enhance
"pushability." There are other 400 films that push well (including HP5+,
another Ilford film!), but not many that offer the fine grain Delta 400 was
capable of giving. Oh well...

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400)