Subject: RE: [Leica] looney for chrome?
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:04:22 -0500

> Did you not give any consideration to the color of the car you
> drive, or to
> the finish of any of the appliances you may use in your home? What about
> the television you watch or the computer work with? Were you solely
> concerned with the performance of these items or did size, shape, and
> perhaps even finish have anything to do with your decision? These are
> utilitarian objects just like the camera you shoot with.

Is your car a 'tool', or any of the other items you mention?  You are
talking about fashion, not photography.  I don't choose my cameras so they
don't clash with my smoking jacket for Christ's sake.

If you're a collector, or just want to place it uselessly on a shelf so you
and your company can 'adorn and admire' it, fine, then it makes sense
(cough, cough)...but if you are using it as a tool, then what color it is is
nothing but mental masturbation.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a
preference for one over the other, but to analyze it ad nauseum...good
grief!

Impress your friends, buy a Leica.  Funny part is, anyone who knows what a
Leica is, won't be impressed by the camera, or what color it is, but by your
photos, and anyone who doesn't, won't care.  They'll think it's some 'old'
camera...and why would anyone want to use it.

Scene...night, dimly lit cobblestone street city...smoke filled basement
bar, lights low, old wooden tables and chairs...somewhere in the 'old
country'.  Two women sitting at the bar, clad in appropriate late evening
'bar hopping' attire, puffing on lip-sticked cigarettes, (Eastern Block
accent)..."I always go for dose guys wit da CHROME Leicas"...

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] looney for chrome?)