Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "less than efficient Rollei service?"
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:19:22 +0800

on 22/2/01 9:52 AM, goldman@math.umn.edu at goldman@math.umn.edu wrote:

> The main point of my message was to find out what Alastair and
> others thought of the Rollei 35 QZT.  Instead I seem to have touched a non
> Leica nerve by have the nerve to quaestion Rollei service.
> In fact my friend sent in the camera twice for autofocus problems.
> The second time they said they couldn't fix it and would replace it.
> They sent the wrong
> camera (a QZW).  After he returned it they sent the correct one.  I call
> that "less than efficient". It's not the end of the world, but I think I
> used an appropriate phrase. If others take umbrage, its their problem,
> not mine.
> Meanwhile, Rollei may be the cat's meow for professional level MF,
> but not for amateur 35.  I don't thing the dramatic price drop is due to
> its success (as Bob Schell, the industry shill, claimed in shutterbug).
> Jay

FWIW, the Rollei QZ35 cameras are the only items on the Rollei factory price
list that do not have any figures listed.  Instead, there is a German word
which I believe means 'negotiable'.  Rollei still have a lot of these
unsold.

My 2 cents: I think the QZ35 camera is a great camera with a very good lens.
But somehow it lacks direction and its image is not clear: it has therefore
found relatively few buyers.

Cheers,

Joseph

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: "less than efficient Rollei service?")