Subject: RE: [Leica] looney for chrome?
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:41:26 -0800

>> You are wrong: the car, household appliances, computer, etc., are
>> utilitarian objects, not fashion objects.
>
>You are probably not married then?  Or you have married someone from an
>Eastern Block country who does not watch TV or get out much ;-)

What are you trying to say? On the one hand, you write that you are not
interested in the aesthetic quality of things, on the other, you claim to
see utilitarian objects as mere fashion items. Your arguement doesn't make
any sense and your point - if there is one - is inconsistent.

>> >but if you are using it as a tool, then what color it is is
>> >nothing but mental masturbation.
>>
>> Were you mentally masturbating when you chose the finish (or
>> model) of your
>> Leica?
>
>Nope.  Black it is.  The chrome isn't chrome anyway, it's satin...

Why did you choose the black finish? What motivated that decision?

>I am mentally masturbating over a non-TTL M6, or a TTL M6, simply because
>the shutter speed dials rotate in the opposite direction, and I tend to
>change it blindly...

Here, you're wrong again, according to your own (erroneous) definition of
fashion: the differences between the shutter speed dials of TTL and non-TTL
M6s are functional, not aesthetic in nature.

>> What I understood: you're not a collector
>> and you don't think people should obsess about the finish of their camera,
>> exactly what I wrote in my post.
>
>Da.

Once again Austin: are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Your "Da"
answer (misspelled, by the way, unless that was intended to be a linguistic
borrowing from the "Eastern Block" that you rather condescendingly refer
to) says: "yeah, that's obvious" to my comment that what you were writing
is exactly what I had written in my post, which would seem to imply that
you are agreeing with me, while the rest of your post suggests that you're
not.

I'm beginning to see Jim Brick's point here: I get the impression that you
responded to my post without really having bothered to read it thoroughly,
and your circular arguement doesn't really add anything to the already
stated positions of the discussion.

Guy