Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:47:03 -0800

Richard Edwards wrote:

> I have used a lot of the tabular-grained films in the past couple of years,
> and gotten good results with all of them -- even TMY, which is
> widely hated -- and I'm still excited by their possibilities.
>
> But I think there is something in what you say: If we had been limited
> to these tab-grained films all these years and Tri-X had just been invented
> and introduced to the market in July of 2000, people would be falling
> all over themselves praising this terrific new film which avoids
> the occasional flat, sometimes even sickening, tonality of the
> 'older' Delta and TMAX films, and has only slightly larger grain.
>
> After a few dozen rolls of Delta 100/400, TMX, or TMY, I feel
> a rush of emotion when I go back to Tri-X or Pan F+. Delta
> 100 is a better film, of course -- it just doesn't look as good.
> But, hey, to judge a film by how it looks is nit-picking.
>
> New Ilford slogan: "Delta 100 -- Better Than it Looks".
> (Didn't Oscar Wilde say that Wagner's music
> is better than it sounds?)
>
> Frankly, I do love Delta 100. And TMAX 100.
>
> I'm also a confirmed Rodinal (ab)user.
> Pan F+ and Rodinal 1+50: Wow!
>
> -A L
>
> Pete Su wrote:

My experience is as a long term hard core Rodinal user (my last developer) is
that it just butchers the hell out of tab grain films and makes you think tab
grain films (or what ever you want to call them) are not what they are jacked up
to be. Xtol use made me go from Tri-X  and Pan-F and 220 plus-x to Delta 400 and
sometimes 100.
Tri-x in Xtol is excellent but when i went to delta 400 in Xtol it made the Tri
x look muddy and soft.
Mark rabiner
 Jordon's water is chilly and cold.

Could not to Delta 100 in Rodinal
had to go back to Pan F.
but i think delta 100 in Xtol does better than pan F in Rodinal.