Subject: [Leica] RE: Back to back, belly to belly
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:50:49 -0800

At 09:28 AM 2/23/01 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:

>> The real test of film loading ability is loading 2 rolls back to
>> back on the
>> same reel....
>
>Do you mean adjacent, as in side by side, like touching?  Why would you want
>to do that?

No, sorry, that's a song...

Back-to-back is just that! Back-to-back. The base of one film against the
bast of the other. Plastic against plastic.

Simple... You get double the numbers of rolls per run.

This is a method used in nearly every (all that I knew) serious
(commercial) darkroom since the beginning of tanks and reels. I used it
frequently back when I used D-76/HC-110/Clayton P60/etc... years ago and I
was shooting tons of B&W commercial work. I used it equally successfully
with Ektachrome back in the 60's when I had a big big job for a huge slide
presentation.

While at Brooks, with limited personal resources, I had a single 500ml
Nikor tank, two 35mm reels and one 120 reel. Running film back-to-back was
routine for me and most of my colleagues. Either that or spend an
inordinate amount of time processing film. And 120 works back-to-back.
Tricky to load with thin B&W films (Pan-X, KB-14, Isopan IFF, etc...,) but
works just fine. The thick stuff (Royal-X Pan) was easier.

Jim

NO UV

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: RE: Back to back, belly to belly)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Back to back, belly to belly)