Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Portra
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:07:59 -0000

I have not used NPS much.  I do recall speaking to a rep about Portra and he
said that a lab really needs to set up a dedicated channel for Portra
processing to get the best out of it, and that many labs do not as there is
little comsumer demand.

I use a pro lab in London and they manage to produce excellent prints and
enlargements.  I guess ones view of the merits of a film are a matter of
personal preference as much as the films technical merit, but at least we
are both pleased with our results which is what really matters.

Simon

Douglas Cooper wrote:

> Funny, I just scanned one of the images, and did get better results than
the
> lab gave me -- it's on the Web at:
>  http://www.dysmedia.com/Photography/edennomad.html
>
> Not great, but better than what the lab turned out.
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts on this film compared to Fuji NPS 160,
which
> is my choice for skin tones.  For some situations -- overcast days, for
> instance -- I prefer NPS to Reala.
>

> On 2/23/01 6:50 AM, Simon expressed the following:
>
> > That is an interesting view of the Portra 160.  Doing some portraiture
last
> > weekend I shot 15 rolls of 35mm 160NC (using M6 and 50mm/90mm Apo Asph)
and
> > 10 rolls of 120 400NC (using Hassy 503CW and 180mm f/4) and the results
were
> > stunning.  The flesh tones were exact in their colour and contrast and
the
> > glow of the Leica and Zeiss glass was definitely there.  Yes, I agree
that
> > the colour saturation is less (and I would use the VC Portra if colour
> > saturation was an issue) but I believe that accurate rendition of skin
tones
> > is worth the sacrifice, especially when the commission is to produce
> > portrait work.  The clarity and fineness of detail was (IMHO)
exceptional.

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Portra)
Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Portra)