Subject: [Leica] dilutions of gradeur!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:18:47 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > > Want a good 400 film... Tri-X in Xtol 1:3 by hand, 1:1 in a JOBO. SHARP!
> > >
> >  I use xtol 1:1, 24deg 8 mins for Trix. I see a lot of people using 1:3.
> > What differences would I see if I dev 1:3 - are people doing this for
> > economy only?
>
> Is this by hand or automated?  I believe one of the reasons not to use 1:3
> is in automated processors, it is too diluted.  They typically use less
> chemicals than regular darkroom tank processing, and Xtol requires a minimum
> of Xtol per unit area of film.

But you should give it a try anyway Austin!
With Jobo's and spinners you have continuous agitation,
And that will give you much less compensation then the intermittent agitation
you were doing before you got your Jobo.
The only was to counteract this is by using the highest dilution you can get
away with.
It really is worth it to give it a shot! Just give it a few more minutes...
With the Jobo spinning away you can be off doing something else anyway. So an
extended time you get from a higher dilution is not a problem.
If when giving more time you are not getting more density and contrast but just fog:
THEN you have over diluted yourself and should then pull back.

Practice safe rolling.

Mark rabiner