Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: felt lips and loading reels
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:21:02 -0500

> Those who process more
> than one roll
> at a time and use a darkroom more than once a year, have, I'm
> sure, figured
> this all out by now. But I will explain it carefully anyway!

I have processed literally tens of thousands of rolls of film.  I certainly
qualify for more than one per year.  I have figured out that dangling the
film and letting it coil up upon it self creates more scratches than pulling
the film out through the felt.

If you want to use a method such that you anchor the loose end of the film,
then that is probably the best method.  But, will that method give you any
better results that actually shop up on your prints?

> If your film does NOT make that "one more trip" through the felt
> lips, then
> it is guaranteed that any grit in the lips CANNOT scratch the film.

That 'grit' (if any) is on the outside of the canister, not on the inside.
The film is being pulled from the inside out, and there is little chance of
getting additional 'significant' scratches, unless the canister has been in
a dirty environment.

If you have any test results that show film is scratched more from this
extra trip through the felt, please show the results.  You're a 'scientist',
and you should believe in facts.  Please, provide the facts.  Don't just
say, "well any idiot should know this" that holds no water, and you know
that.

> AVOID
> THE POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

Exactly!  Avoid the film dangling, coiled up upon it self, flying around as
you roll it onto the reel!

> DOING THE JOB
> CORRECTLY, will COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY AVOID THE POTENTIAL PROBLEM!

Exactly!  The issue is to avoid scratches.  If someone finds that doing
something one way, works best for them, then they should do it the way it
works best for them.  Nothing wrong with trying other methods, but if other
methods don't work better for someone, well, they don't.  What is
"CORRECT(LY)" for you may not be what is "CORRECT(LY)" for someone else.  A
concept some do not seem to understand...it's their way or you're an idiot!

> How many experienced darkroom workers, pro's pro labs, etc do you
> know that
> pull the film back out through the felt???

I do, and I have 30 years of darkroom experience.  I actually only started
doing "it" over the past few years, since most all of my work in the past 20
years has been MF, where I can anchor the film spool between my knees.
Which I can not do with 35mm, since it is easy to anchor between my knees
when it is in the cassette, and not easy to do when it is out of it.

> Serious photographers, pro's, etc., do not always have the luxury of
> storing film in a sanitary environment.

That's true, and in that case, if someone feels it's what'll work for then,
the they should rip open the cassette!

> Leaving the leader out
> and marking the cassette "exposed" with a Sharpie...

Actually, I know two very well known photojournalist (one Ted knows) who
leave the leader out, and mark the film speed on the cassette...with a
Sharpie BTW...since he shoots at 200...but no one, I know writes, "exposed".

> The very best practice is to simply follow the guidance of those who make
> their living at photography, the pro labs, and those who are serious
> photographers and do their own darkroom work.

Despite your belief, there are many different ways that work equally well.
Not everyone HAS to do it "only one way".  What works best for THEM is not
necessarily what works best for YOU.  Hard to believe, I know.

Please, let people decide for themselves, not be beaten into feeling STUPID
because they don't do it YOUR way.  Good grief!

Replies: Reply from Shan <shan@montana.net> ([Leica] Testing Lenses With Your Felt Lips)