Subject: [Leica] wet Jobo reels...plastic reels and rules for mid roll rewinding film...
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:10:38 -0500

My solution for multiple runs with Jobo reels... I keep a hair dryer in my
darkroom..... shake off the excess water.... lightly dry with clean towel
that is only used for that purpose.... hit with a hair dryer.... and you're
ready to go in a few minutes...

The problem with most plastic reels is when you develop film using them in
larger tanks....  Specifically you have a higher risk of uneven development
or streaks due to the physical size and nature of the spacing and
construction of the reels.....  At least I found this to be true in my own
experience with Patterson 4 and 8 roll tanks.  I tried putting a empty reel
in the bottom and turned the tank as I was pouring in developer and
eventually asked a photographer mentor who told me to throw it out and get
SS.   I switched to SS and have never had problems since.

The Jobo reels are different as you are doing rotary processing and they
seem to have more air space.

The  obviously solution to not having to rewind film mid-roll is to have one
body for every type of film you shoot.  Unfortunately... I use 8 different
speeds and types of film at times and well.... I don't have that many bodies
for any given lens mount....

And if I only have 6 shots on a new roll of slides.... I'm not about to
throw away the rest of the film and pay for the developing costs when I can
use the rest of it tomorrow or within a few days.... unless of course I need
the images right away.

My rules for mid-roll rewind are:

1) The best place for doing mid-roll rewound is in your office, not in the
field.

2) The best place to re-load your mid-roll rewound roll is in your office,
not in the field.

3) The best place to keep your mid-roll rewound rolls is in your office and
not in your camera bag with you in the field.

4) The best way to insure that you do not mistakenly load and double expose
a roll of mid-roll rewound film  is to make sure that your mid-roll rewound
roll of film is so clearly marked and sealed in a canister with several
strips of masking tape over the top that you cannot possibly mistake it for
a new unshot roll that is in your office... and it never goes in your camera
bag.

5) The best way to make sure you do not overlap any frames of your newly
loaded mid-roll rewind is to generously advance the mid-roll rewound roll
several frames past where you ended up.

6) The best way to insure you don't do any of the above is to not mid-roll
rewind film period.  But  If one follows the rules above.... you shouldn't
experience any trouble..... and eventually... you'll have saved up enough
money to be able to buy that Noctilux you've been lusting after.  Or at
least another body.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador: