Subject: [Leica] Re: xp-2
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:25:29 EST

it's not just the grain comparison mark -- i'd put the grain at about equal
to a good asa 100 b/w film which, with an asa 400 film, is good reason enough
to consider it.

but, the icing on the cake is the tonal range of the film.

Those of us with gray in our beards remember when the original XP1 was
introduced and hyped as a "Shoot at any speed" film, the allegation being
that you could even change asa ratings in the middle of the roll, develop the
whole thing the same way, and still get acceptible prints.

That was, and is, just hype, but it has its basis in the film's amazing
ability to avoid blocking up in highlight areas, to hold detail in shadow
areas, and to render tonal values across uncle ansel's range of zones. I've
found that if you rate it at 400 precisely, you will end up with negatives
right in the middle of the film's tonal scale and reaching nicely to both
ends and can make, with care, really lovely prints, much better than a
comparable b/w film.

it also allows you a certain amount of protection in under-exposure -- if you
do underguess the exposure, and the resulting negative looks a bit thin, i've
found a good print can still be made by just lessening the enlarger exposure.
It never ceases to amaze me what the film has captured that I don't even see
on the negative.

You get more grain if the negative is thin (and less grain as the negative
gets denser) and with my rig (focomat 1C) i find i get the best prints for me
with a 2 1/2 or 3 contrast filter, but as a general rule it is lovely film to
use.

don't compare bits on the net -- go buy half a dozen rolls, give yourself a
month to try it and learn it, and then decide for yourself.

ctrentelman
it's astonishing in 120 cameras
utah

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: xp-2)