Subject: RE: [Leica] Filters and Lens Testing
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:12:49 -0500

At 04:26 PM 2/25/2001 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:
>Do you know of any hard evidence that you can show me that substantiates
>this?

I have taken pictures with and without and have seen a discernible
difference at extreme enlargements.  I discussed this some years back here
on the LUG;  maybe this could be found in the List archives.  I recall
doing the test twice, once with a Leica M6 and 1.4/50 Summicron-M with and
without a Leica UV filter, and again with a Rolleiflex 2.8GX, with and
without a Rollei Bayo III UVa filter.  I still have the pictures, but, God
only knows in which box they could be found.

I believe I was shooting the enlarger onto the floor:  I used a Leitz V35
for the 35mm stuff and a Beseler C-23 for the MF shots, the V-35 with the
standard Focotar and the Beseler with a Rodenstock lens.  (I know now from
Erwin that Schneider makes a better enlarging lens than the Focotar, but I
didn't know it then.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!