Subject: RE: [Leica] Lense testing...-corrected MTF
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:34:23 -0500

> 1)  Make sure that the resolution and MTF tests are made not only
> in the center and edges of the frame, but also 1/3rd, and 2/3rds
> out from the center
> of the image, and at the corners.

That is in the plan.

> 2)  If time permits you should make all of the above readings
> both tangentially and sagitally.

Why?  I know typically MTF data does include both, but why would that matter
in this case?

> 3)  Test the lens at the most widely used apertures. (Wide open,
> two stops down, minimum aperture - your choice, it's your test.)

I planned at testing only wide open.  I am going to assume degradation will
track, but it is a going point, I probably should test at some 'other'
aperture...just to show that they track.

> 4)  Make sure that the operator of the test is accurately making
> your measurements within the 24x36 or 6x6 image circle.  The
> image circles thrown by
> the lens will be much greater than their respective camera format.

Yes.

> 5)  Critical focusing of the aerial image is vital.  Look through
> it yourself to make sure the operator and you agree on the testing plane.

No idea, I will ask about that.

> 6)  What focusing distance are you doing your test at? (infinity,
> 20', 10', 5', 1' ?)

3' was the number I was shooting for.

> 7)  If it was me, I would use the Hasselblad adjustable lens
> shade (extended to the maximum amount before vignetting) on each
> lens to make absolutely
> sure there was no extraneous light hitting the front element or
> filter.  I would even bring black cards to hold up as gobos for
> the front element if
> needed.

Shade is probably a good idea, I will bring the appropriate shade.  I do not
have the pro shade, just the fixed shades.

> 8)  I would also do a test with a light purposefully shining on
> the front element and on the filter to gauge the effect a backlit
> scene will have on
> lens performance - with and without the filter in place.

I was thinking about that, but I do not want to be overly aggressive with
this first set of tests.  I would like to run this type of test though, but
not necessarily now.

> Somewhere, I have the resolution and MTF data on your 110 Zeiss,
> that Zeiss published in the 80's.  It might be an interesting
> comparison to see if
> your results are comparable (provided you can use similar test
> parameters).

My 110 was made in the 80's ;-)

> Good Luck and I may be in the minority, but I too find the test
> interesting.

Thank you!

> Do you think you can test both lenses in one hour ($175.00)?
> It's a lot of work.

I'm there for two hours, should be no problem.

Thanks Rob, your CONSTRUCTIVE input is greatly appreciated.  I will also not
only document the test setup including equipment etc., but take pictures as
well.