Subject: Re: [Leica] Puzzled in Alberta would like to know....
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:14:50 -0600

Puzzled in Alberta wants to know:

>Now why would there be a difference in the effects of camera shake between
>symmetrical and retrofocus designs of the same focal length? It does not
>make sense to me but that is hardly surprising as I was repeatedly dropped
>on my head in my youth and thus am unable to understand the simplest of
>concepts (such as the point of the UV filter thread for instance). Please
>shed some light into the great void that is my brain.

Dear Puzzled,

I suggest that lens design is not the real reason for this phenomena.
I doubt that our photos are effected by the increased distance that the
light travels between the last element of a lens and the film plane.
Unless the speed of light has changed dramatically since I was in school,
this could not be a cause.

One REAL reason is that the wide lense simply does not show the lack of
sharpness because of the effects of DOF and the accepted value for
Circle of Confusion.

The other reason is that the M camera has no floppy mirror bouncing
around inside just before exposure and a quiet (vibration wise) shutter.

So dear reader, don't be concerned about those lumps on your head, in
this case they are not your problem.

Henry

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Puzzled in Alberta would like to know....)