Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux production and ramifications
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 01:52:05 +0800

Adrian,

Thank you so much for your posting.  It is one of the most enjoyable
postings I have read in recent weeks, and I agree with just about everything
you have stated.

Yes, the supply of the Noctilux is still spotty.  It has been out of stock
for three weeks now and my waiting list has become desperately long with at
least a hundred lenses on back order.  Ditto the APO 90/2.0 ASPH.

The VE 35-70/2.8 ASPH has become the laughing stock in the photo trade here.
Even the might of Leica cannot provide their customers a fast standard zoom.
When the lens was discontinued they made a lot of noise that it was
superlative thus was very difficult to make;  and because of the huge amount
of money they had lost they had no choice but to stop making it.  This was a
fair remark and was probably true.  As I and many others became desperate in
securing a lens we would like to use with our R cameras, I increased my
offer to triple its original price hoping the factory would run another
batch to keep a few users happy.  Nope, no lens.  I then offered them my
open cheque book policy and I still have not heard.  I now believe it is not
the money issue Leica is so worried about.  There is probably something more
profound than costs.  Money issues are always simple to overcome - just
increase one's offer and the goods will usually materialise.  This is how I
got my first M6 0.58, my first Summicron-M 28/2.0 ASPH....  Perhaps Leica
just cannot be bothered to make a few more lenses.  Or worse still, they
probably are not confident in making this lens properly in any significant
number.  In the end, I had to buy back the dozen or so lenses I had
previously sold, averaging close to a five figure sum for each lens.  This
is a pity - Leica could have made this kind of money from those who are
willing to pay, and use the extra cash to fund their R & D so more Leica
users can benefit.

With no new useful R lenses in sight, perhaps it is time to speak to Cosina
and see if they will design a fast standard zoom for R cameras.  The money I
have set aside for the Vario Elmarits can be used for designing this lens.
I would love to see a 28-70/2.8 for my R8.  I have had one for my EOS 1 for
years, and acquired a similar Nikkor for my F100 last week.  My R8 still
feels naked without a fast zoom.  How do R users on this list feel if Cosina
is to introduce a series of R lenses under the Voigtlander (no 'h'!) name?

Bests,

Joseph